Nowadays, many species of mushrooms are already sold in the market as food. However, few remain to be highly toxic. Most usually, the more toxic they are, the greater their beauty…
1. Fly Agaric:
This mushroom is also known as Amanita muscaria, fly Amanita, or Soma. It is native throughout the areas of the Northern Hemisphere. The most common cap color is red but some subspecies have brown, yellow-orange, and pinkish caps. The mushroom is classified as poisonous, though there are no more significant deaths in the recent years due to modern medical treatment. In fact, some countries already consume this as food after good parboiling in water. The mushroom reminds me of strawberry lollipops, but it is certainly not something one can lick right away.
2. Destroying Angel Mushroom:
This name refers to numerous, closely related species of deadly all-white Amanita mushrooms. Destroying angels have white stalk and caps that may be yellowish, pinkish, or tan at the center. As the name implies, they are among the most toxic known mushrooms. They account for majority of deaths from mushroom consumption. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, cramps, delirium, convulsions, and diarrhea; and these may appear only after 5 to 24 hours when the toxin is already absorbed by the body and the damage, like destruction of liver and kidney tissues, is done.
3. Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom:
Known scientifically as Omphalotus olearius, this mushroom is often mistaken as chanterelle (an edible fungus) because it possesses the same orange to yellow gills and cap. Accordingly, it looks and smells appealing that many individuals have repeated poisoning. The mushroom may not be very lethal but consuming this causes severe cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea.
4. Clustered Woodlover:
Also known as sulfur tuft, it has a scientific name of Hypholoma fasciculare. It is a small woodland mushroom and grows abundantly in large clumps on rotting trunks, stumps, and dead roots of trees. Poisoning of this mushroom causes diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, proteinuria and collapse. To large extent, it can lead to paralysis and impaired visions.
5. The Sickener:
This mushroom has predominantly red-color caps and white gills and stalk. Its scientific name is Russula emetica. As expected from its name, this mushroom is toxic. Poisoning is mainly gastrointestinal in nature such as diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal cramps. It is said to have a bitter or peppery taste which disappears when cooked, though eating it is not recommended.
6. Yellow House Plant Mushroom:
It has the scientific name Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, and also called as Lepiota lutea, flower-pot parasol, and plantpot dapperling. As the name suggests, it typically grows in greenhouses or with potted plants. This mushroom is quite poisonous and can cause significant stomach problems.
7. Ivory Funnel:
Otherwise known as Clitocybe dealbata, this mushroom is a small white funnel-shaped toadstool prolifically found in Europe and North America. The diameter of its cap is 2-4 cm, and the stipe or stalk is 2-3.5 cm tall. Within 15 – 30 minutes of ingestion, victim experiences increased salivation, sweating, and tearflow. Hence, the mushroom is also called as sweating mushroom. Moreover, symptoms may include abdominal pain, severe nausea, diarrhea, blurred vision, and labored breathing. Sever cases lead to cardiac or respiratory failure.
8. Satan’s Mushroom:
It wouldn’t be surprising if the scientific name of this mushroom is Boletus satanas. Also called as Devil’s bolete, it has a whitish, yellow, or pale ochre cap with an inrolled margin, and a large, fat stalk. It is lethal, both when eaten raw or cooked. Poisoning causes nausea and violent vomiting. Well, the mushroom may be said to be a cuddly but deadly beauty.
9. False Parasol:
This is a very widespread mushroom that comes also with the name green-spored parasol or Chlorophyllum molybdites. It is the most common consumed poisonous mushroom in North America. Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea and colic, often severe, which occurs 1-3 hours after consumption. This is another white beauty to reckon with!
10. Conocybe tenera.
This mushroom has a conic to convex cap which is smooth and colored cinnamon brown. It is only 3 to 9 cm long. It is also widely distributed across the planet. Its edibility is unknown, so it remains to be likely poisonous.
See what others have to say about "Ten Deadly Mushroom Beauties".